Sunday, April 12, 2015

Freshman interior design applicants anticipate decision

This Monday the freshman class of the Utah State University’s interior design program submitted their project applications that will be reviewed by the faculty of the interior design department. Their final designs will determine if they will be accepted and continue in the rest of the program.

Sarah Urquhart, an assistant professor in the program, said freshmen are not directly admitted because professors want students to get a sample of the program first.

“After they've gone through a year of coursework they can then apply to be in the program. The projects are then rated by the entire faculty,” Urquhart said. “The outcome of those ratings determine who will get into the program.”

This year the freshman were assigned to build a lamp.

Taylor Merrill, one of the applicants, said the project was intended to showcase their entire design process.

“Of course they want the end result to look good and be functional because that’s the whole point, but it’s mostly so they can see how you went about creating,” she said. “They want to see the step-by-step.”

Another applicant, Shantae Broadbent, said the project was more difficult than she imagined it would be.

“I originally had an idea of how I wanted it to look, but because I had that first original idea nothing was working,” she said. “I would do something and have to start over, but when I finally got rid of how I wanted it to end, everything just fell together.”

Merrill said she had similar difficulties.

“It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult once you get down to it, but I ended up building and rebuilding my lamp three different times before I finally got to one that I was fine with visually,” she said. “It really tests how good of a designer you are.”

The applicants were told not to expect to hear anything until May 15.

Broadbent said the wait has been hard.

“It’s completely nerve wracking, I’ll be totally honest, I’m nervous and I think about it every day,” she said. “I want to have an email from them saying yes or no.”

The applicants didn't want to talk specifically about their projects because they are currently anonymous to the reviewers.

“I don’t want to talk too much about it because they are still blind reviewing,” said Merrill. “But I ended up being very happy with how it turned out.”

This year the number of applicants was estimated to be around 50 students. Urquhart said that the review process cuts the applicants down.  

“We typically cut about 50 percent but that number isn't firm. We take all the applicants that we feel will do well,” she said.

Merrill said she plans to remain positive no matter the outcome.

“For me, there isn't anything else,” she said. “This is what I want to do and if I don’t get in now it just means that I have a whole extra year to hone my skills and try again.”

No comments:

Post a Comment